There were a lot of summer smashes this year, and while you all might have your own picks, based on radio spins, and responses in the clubs this summer, not to mention the few that had me bouncin a bit, here’s my top 5 picks.
- DJ Khaled feat. Chris Brown x Rick Ross x Nicki Minaj x Lil Wayne – “Take It To The Head” – This was my personal favorite this summer. That beat was beautiful. Nicki and Wayne’s verses were super weak, but they got away with it thanks to Chris Brown.
- Meek Mill feat. Drake x Jeremih – “Amen” – Even with all of the controversy surrounding the contents of the track, this was undeniably one of the most popular songs of the summer. Needless to say, Meek set high standards for himself for the year. “Dreams and Nightmares” is hands down one of the most anticipated albums of 2012.
- MMG – “Bag of Money” – T-Pain’s touch wasn’t really necessary, but it didn’t hurt. This one gets a top spot because it really had females coming in the clubs with their head-to-toe Rue 21 outfits thinking they were looking like a bag of money.
- French Montana feat. Rick Ross x Drake x Lil Wayne – “Pop That” – Muthafuckin twerk/strip club anthem of the year!!! No other song topped it in that category this year. No way. Even I couldn’t resist. Everytime I heard the song, no matter where I was, I stopped and twerked.
- 2 Chainz feat. Drake – “No Lie” – You couldn’t go an hour without hearing this song all summer, actually, since like, April. No doubt 2 Chainz killed it this summer. It’s still going strong 5 months later.
Now that I look at the list, looks like MMG and Drake were the winners of the summer. Honorable mentions: GOOD Music – “Mercy”, Usher feat. Rick Ross – “Lemme See”, Chief Keef feat. Pusha T x Kanye West x Big Sean x Jadakiss – “I Don’t Like” (Remix)
Who'd I miss?